UCLArts & Healing Conference
about the conference:
in partnership with the Expressive Therapies Summit
Creativity & the Arts in Healing
Learn arts-based tools for facilitating communication, building connection, promoting positive emotions, fostering engagement, reducing stress, and managing the impact of trauma in our inaugural experiential training conference.
Choose from 125+ workshops delivered by leading national experts in art, dance, drama, drumming, music, and writing integrated with mental health practices. Scroll down for selected workshop titles.
Specialty Tracks: Mindfulness & Well-being, Children & Adolescents, Community Building & Social Justice, Expressive Writing & Journaling, Play Therapy, and Special Populations. A convenient selection for Education & Arts Professionals features sessions of particular interest to those in non-clinical settings.
What is the Value of the Arts Integrated with Mental Health Practices? Creative expression invites self-reflection and dialogue that can lead to meaningful self-discovery, connection with others, and personal empowerment. Studies have shown that the arts—particularly when integrated with mental health practices—can yield social, emotional, physical and cognitive benefits. The nonverbal aspect of the arts transcends traditional barriers of age, ability, and culture. Shared creative experiences build empathy and community, which expand possibilities for action and transformation.
Visit our conference website to register, for detailed program session information, the Summit schedule, to learn about our faculty, and more.
View our short promotional video:
who should attend:
- Creative arts therapists at all levels
- Educators and students
- Community arts professionals
- Complementary and integrative health and medicine professionals
- Mental health, senior and hospice care, and social service professionals
- Interested members of the general public
date: Thursday, March 30 through Sunday, April 2, 2017
location & lodging:
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
5711 West Century Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
Summit Rate: $139 single double occupancy (must reserve by March 8, with the following group promo code: “expressive therapies summit”)
For more info on the hotel, discounted rates, and directions, click here.
Single Day: $149 ($159 after 2/17; $179 after 3/27)
Any Two Days: $279 ($299 after 2/17; $329 after 3/27)
Any Three Days: $389 ($399 after 2/17; $439 after 3/27)
All Four Days: $499 ($559 after 3/27)
For more information on registration fees and to read the FAQs, click here.
There are over 30 CEs available, including CE credits for
psychologists, arts therapists, social workers, counselors, play
therapists, MFTs, and nurses. $20 daily fee covers all CE credits/hours earned per professional certificate. Click here for more information.
To register, click here.
Please note that you must register through the Summit website; Summit registration is not available through our website.
If, after reviewing the Summit website, you still have questions, please email email@example.com.
Over 125 Hands-On Workshops, Including These Example:
CHILDREN & ADOLESCENTS
- Eco-Art Therapy: Expanding Your Practice through Connection with Nature
- Re-Shaping Body Image: Tape Sculpture as Arts-Based Social Justice
- Introduction to the Therapeutic Uses of Photography
- The Open Studio Process of Art & Writing
- Social, Emotional and Cognitive Growth through the Arts: The Key to Kids
- Disrupting Disruptive Student Behaviors with Compassion & Art Therapy
- Establish Rapport with At-Risk Youth Using the enACT Method
- Digital Media Arts: Therapeutic Interventions for Adolescents and Others
MOVEMENT, MINDFULNESS & WELL-BEING
- Resetting Boundaries: De-Roling Following Performances and Clinical Sessions
- Transformation of Failure & Self-Blame: Techniques from Theater of the Oppressed
- Managing Conflict, Embodying New Narratives
- Performance as a Therapeutic Act: Transforming Self-Defeating Life Scripts through Drama Therapy
- Breath & Yoga for Mental Health and Wellness
- Mindful Games for Enhancing Attention, Balance and Compassion
- The Five Qualities of Mindfulness: A Multidisciplinary Experience
- Challenging Oppression with Expression: RAPtivism, Movement & Mindfulness
- Introduction to Himalayan Sacred Sound Healing
- Sound, Music & Healing: Science and Clinical Practice In Harmony
- Sing for Yourself: A Daily Practice for Freedom of Expression
- Drumming as Medicine: Facilitating Healing Rhythms
- Expressive Writing As Activism
- Journaling to Clear Life’s Clutter: A Compassionate, Creative Approach
- Stressbusting: Writing through Troubled Times
- Living with Intention & Authenticity: End-of-Life Lessons from Dignity Therapy
FOR MENTAL HEALTH PRACTITIONERS
- Creative Techniques for Working with and Caring for Older Adults
- Expressive Arts & Play Therapy for Autism and Special Needs: A Whole Brain Approach
- Military Service Members and the Creative Arts: Interdisciplinary Care
- Poetry/Bibliotherapy for Mental Illness: Fostering Recovery, Instilling Hope
- Also sessions for working with trauma, international populations, chronic pain, cancer, eating disorders, addictions, neurorehabilitation, hospitalized patients and more . . .
- Holding our Clients in our Bodies: Managing Somatic Countertransference
- Deepening Approaches to Image & Metaphor for Expressive Arts Therapists
- Integrative Art Therapy: Bilateral Scribble, Neurosequential Squiggle, IFS Collaging
- Diagnostic Drawing Series Training: 30 Years of Assessment through Art
Refund Policy: In order to keep our programs affordable yet self-sustaining, we regret that we are unable to offer refunds on enrollment fees. We hope that you will find comfort in knowing that your fees are going to a worthy cause.
Reservation Policy: Reservations can be made for free events, unless noted otherwise in the program description. Individuals who have made reservations and who have arrived on time will be admitted first. After that time, everyone will have an equal opportunity for admission.
Wait List Policy: Based on past experience, we expect that a certain number of registrants will not be able to attend events. If registration for an event is full, joining the wait list will give you a higher priority for admittance at the door. If additional space for an event becomes available, individuals on the wait list will be notified via email and given the opportunity to enroll in the event before the additional spaces are advertised to the general public.